Our riders trust Onward Rides in large part thanks to the caliber of our drivers. Not only are our drivers compassionate, helpful individuals, but they’ve been trained to care for the unique challenges faced by older adults.
Preparation is the key to great service
During driver onboarding, all drivers receive training on what to expect from riders who may suffer from a variety of conditions - including riders who will be going to dialysis. These training sessions include how to load and unload passengers safely, as well as CPR and First Aid in the event of an emergency. We also ensure that drivers are alerted of any rider going to dialysis. This allows drivers to prepare appropriately for the rider prior to starting the trip, like knowing if the rider will need wheelchair assistance, and ensure the rider receives personalized care that fits their needs.
Our riders have taught us a lot
Beyond our standard driver training, our riders going to dialysis have taught us a ton about how to best care for them. Through our service, our drivers and Concierge team have learned many insightful tips to help ensure our riders going to dialysis have a great experience riding with us.
- Dialysis is physically and mentally very taxing - extend extreme patience and compassion as a rider may initially refuse the ride
- If the rider is refusing to go to dialysis, get in contact with their custodian to ensure these changes are okay. You’ll notice within the Onward Driver App that we designate a custodian contact number so they can quickly and easily be reached.
- Offer to play their favorite music - something familiar, like a favorite song, can put riders at ease and show them that you care.
- Do not offer items to eat or drink, as many dialysis patients require special, specific diets for the health of their kidney(s).
- If you’ve learned something new about the rider - especially a personal preference of theirs, like the temperate they like the vehicle - let the Concierge team know and their rider profile can be updated so all future drivers can ensure we extend exceptional care.
Other helpful learning resources
There are so many incredible resources available today to better understand an often misunderstood portion of our community. If you’d like to learn more about dialysis - especially how to be accommodating to their condition - check out the resources below!